Pregnant moms on the go often struggle at snack time. Whether you are running errands, still juggling a demanding work schedule or chasing your other 3 children, pregnancy is not a time to skip meals or grab fast food on the go. A good rule is to choose snacks you can pack in your bag for convenience but that also last a few days or longer so that you don’t have to think each time you go out the door — it’s there when you need it AND nutritious.
While it’s wise to keep healthy foods available while you are pregnant, whether you’re at home or on the go, you might not know what foods are best. That’s why we’ve compiled a short guide to show you that pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy, and you should too.
Pregnant Moms on the go keep these snacks handy:
- The easiest choice. A granola bar like Kashi has whole grains, protein, fiber and nutrients that cereal bars don’t. Belly Bars are made specifically for pregnancy and will provide key nutrients a mom-to-be needs. With so many flavors it’s easy to indulge in a pregnancy chocolate craving without any guilt. Either of these are a great choice and you should always have one in your purse “in case of emergency.” It’s no wonder that pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy!
- Carry water with you. Sometimes you aren’t actually hungry, you’re thirsty. Drinking your 8 glasses a day in can be a challenge when your bladder seems to be the size of a pea but it is extremely important. A great addition to liven up your water and make it more nutritious is Be Nice Prenatal Vitamin Drink Mix. You can add these flavorful packets to your water giving it a burst of flavor and nutrients designed especially for pregnant women.
- An apple a day…On your way out the door toss an apple or orange into your purse. Fruit is convenient, healthy and tasty — a perfect snack on the go. You can also pack dried fruits like cranberries, apples or banana chips. The advantage of dried fruit is that it can be in your purse for a couple of days and there when you need it. Pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy because they’re easy to pack, filling, and energizing, so definitely give these a try if you tend to eat a lot of carb-filled snacks on the go.
- Fill a small resealable bag with your favorite snack.At the beginning of the week make up a bunch of snack bags that are sealed and that you can easily grab on your way out the door. Pretzels, crackers, a few nuts and raisins all hit the spot and fill you up. This also works well for your children to grab and go or pack in lunches making it easy for them to eat healthy too. Like the options above, pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy because they’re so easy to take with you everywhere you go.
- Individually wrapped cheese. There are many varieties of string cheeses that give you protein and calcium without too many calories, and that’s why pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy. You could include cheese with any of the snacks listed above just be sure that you don’t leave these in your purse too long. This is recommended when you are rushing out the door and know you will be eating on the way to your destination.
Note: Some bars or snacks may have all the daily nutrients you need in one serving so eating too many through out the day is not recommended. These are great, nutritious options and a healthy alternative to pregnancy cravings but remember that you can have “too much of a good thing.” Drinks and meal replacements, even if made specifically for pregnancy, are not meant to be consumed several times a day.
HOW ARE THESE CHOICES ALSO BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
By choosing products that are natural, reduce environmental impact and specific to pregnancy, you can make better choices today for yourself and your and baby but also have an impact on the world the baby will grow up in. We support these companies and hope you will to.
- Be Nice is committed to the health of babies, moms, and the planet. Their packaging is made from recycled paper and created in a factory that uses 100% wind energy.
- NutraBella’s all-natural food products promote good nutrition – the foundation for a healthy and active lifestyle. Bellybar provides an easy, food-based source for necessary supplemental nutrients in an all-natural snack designed to match the pace of women’s “real world” lives.
- If you are using plastic bags, a better option is to switch to reusable containers or try making a small step by using Ziploc® evolve™ Bags which are better for the environment with 25% less plastic and manufactured using wind power.
Other Healthy Foods to Get More of While You Are Pregnant
Now that you know that pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy, you are equipped to eat better no matter what you are up to.
Beyond keeping the right snacks on hand while you are out and about, though, there are also other healthy foods that you should get more of while you are pregnant. Check out the list below, and consider finding recipes that incorporate these ingredients that can help you have a healthy pregnancy:
- Legumes – According to Healthline, legumes give you a host of nutrients that your body needs while you are pregnant. Those nutrients include folate, iron, calcium, protein, and fiber. Plus, this is a versatile and tasty ingredient, so you will love having more of it!
- Sweet potatoes – Did you know that pregnant women should try to get more vitamin A into their daily diet, but it’s best to get it from plant-based sources because getting too much of it from animal sources might actually lead to toxicity? With delicious sweet potatoes, you can easily get more vitamin A into your body in a safe way.
- Avocados – If you love eating guacamole or avocado toast, you will be happy to learn that experts recommend eating plenty of avocados while you are pregnant. This source of healthy fats is also packed with B vitamins, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin C, copper, and fiber. Wow!
- Berries – Finally, it’s also a great idea to get more berries into your diet while you are pregnant. In fact, pregnant moms on the go keep these snacks handy as well because they are tasty and nutritious, and easy to pack for everything from day trips, to trips to the mall. Berries contain high amounts of antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber. Plus, they are also a good way to stay hydrated because they contain water, and they provide healthy carbohydrates for energy that you can use to keep yourself going strong.
Smart Pregnant Moms on the Go Keep These Snacks Handy, and You Should Too!
There you have it: a list of snacks that you can take with you when you are on the go, along with foods that you can easily incorporate into your daily meal plans while you are pregnant in order to nourish your body, while also helping your baby grow strong.