Are you a mom with a newborn? What an exciting time in your life! But, while you are taking in every moment with your baby, you might also be thinking about weight loss and how you will be able to get to your pre-baby body back before long. Well, there are ways that you can slim down when you have a newborn, and we’ve compiled some weight loss tips below to help you get started.
Know How Many Calories You Need
Weight loss comes with physical activity, but it also comes with calorie reduction. According to Parents, the number of calories that you will need will depend on whether or not you are breastfeeding.
- If you are breastfeeding your newborn, aim to get anywhere from 2,200 to 2,400 calories per day.
- If you are giving your baby a formula because you have decided that you don’t want to breastfeed, or you can’t breastfeed, aim to get anywhere from 1,900 to 2,200 calories per day.
Don’t Forget About Nutrients!
Beyond calories for energy, you also need to ensure you are getting the right amount of nutrients to support your health after having a baby, and to support your efforts to slim down. Once again, the amount that you will need will depend on whether or not you are breastfeeding your baby.
- If you are breastfeeding, aim to get 1,000-1,300 mg of calcium, 15 mg of iron, 280 mcg of folate, 65 grams of protein, and 95 mg of vitamin C
- If you are formula-feeding, aim to get 1,300 mg of calcium, 15 mg of iron, 180 mcg of folate, 44-50 grams of protein, and 60 mg of vitamin C
Keep Blood Sugar Levels Stable
By eating small meals frequently throughout the day, you can keep your blood sugar level, as well as your energy level, stable so you can take care of yourself and your newborn. Beyond that, you can also maintain balance by doing the following:
- Avoid unhealthy, empty-calorie snacks like chips, and sugar-filled beverages like soda.
- Consume whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and lean protein.
- Eat foods that have a lot of water and fiber. These can help you fill up faster, so you consume fewer calories. Examples include fresh fruits, veggies, soup, and tea.
- Don’t eliminate entire food groups. Aim for balance, getting all of the macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fat) your body needs.
- Healthy fats, including omega-3s, can be derived from ingredients like nuts and nut butter, olive oil, flaxseeds and flaxseed oil, and avocado, as a few examples.
Weight Loss with a Newborn Is Possible!
With the right strategy, you can definitely start losing weight even while your baby is still a newborn. You just have to be armed with the right information and implement the right strategy that will allow you to get safe and efficient results.